Monday, February 2, 2009

British Humor

I was walking into Target this morning when two guys ahead of me tossed the remnants of their fast food breakfast into the garbage can. I started thinking about the sad state of the typical American diet these days, and I was reminded of a conversation I had the other day with my sister-in-law, Shannyn. She was over at her parents' house recently while they were hosting some friends from England. They were all sitting down at breakfast when one of their guests (I can't remember her name, so we'll have to make up one for her. How about Gwyneth?) asked if they had any "proper milk." (Now be sure to pronounce that with a British accent) Shannyn's family all looked around at each other, a little confused as to why the gallon of 1 % on the table wasn't "proper" enough for her.

"I thought I saw some proper milk in the fridge earlier," Gwyneth insisted.

Then Shannyn finally realized that she must be referring to her two-year-old son's whole milk. When she related this to Gwyneth, the latter didn't understand why everyone else didn't drink the "proper" milk too. Shannyn patiently explained that most people in the US don't like to drink whole milk because of the fat content. Gwyneth's eyebrows came together at this.

"Yes....but you people eat so many cheeseburgers!"

Now there's something to ponder.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

She does have a valid point. However, cheeseburger fat is good. Whole milk is so thick it gags me. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

I guess I need to move to England because I LOVE "proper" milk!!

BWei said...

Too funny. I think whole milk is like drinking straight cream. Even though we're avid skim milk drinkers, I secretly like 1 and 2 percent (shh--don't tell Michael!). Of course we never buy it, but I sneak it if my parents have it :-).