Sunday, June 29, 2008

Squaw Peak


This is not the same as Squaw Mountain which has a road that sweathearts sometimes drive up to look at the view (So I hear; Never been up there myself). No, there is no road to the top of this one. It is the impressive peak that hangs over Rock Canyon and the one I decided to conquer once and for all.

I hiked with two of my neighbors, Stan Hall & Shinji. We are grateful to have made friends with such good people so quickly out here. I have gone swimming and climbing with Stan and used his tent to go camping. Shinji invited me to play soccer with him on Fridays. It is nice that they are keeping me busy (and sore).The hike was a lot of fun. I had been in the canyon many times before. Once I did take the trail that forks to the left with my dad when he was visiting, but we didn't have much time so we turned around before long. If I had know what a beautiful view was in store I would have done it long ago and returned often. I believe it only took us about two hours to get up from the parking lot. We were cruising at a fast pace, and had to stop to catch our breath a couple times.

This is the view looking to the east. These mountains are not seen well from our home because we are so close to the smaller peaks in front of them.



Looking down on Provo. The orange arrow is where we live. The blue arrow is the parking lot where we started and the red arrow is the Provo Temple.
The parking lot is at an elevation of about 5100' and the peak is above 7840' (our apartment is at 4800').Here is a little video vertigo for your viewing pleasure. Really quite spectacular. I highly recommend this hike.

No comments: