Thursday, March 24, 2011

Positive Peer Pressure

*This post is dedicated to my older brother Caleb...
This is what I had for breakfast this morning. Almost three of them.

It's called a Green Monster Smoothie! I got the recipe from my sister-in-law Brittany, who made one on St. Patrick's day. I have been trying to find more creative ways to include different vegetables in our diet. We've always been pretty good about eating vegetables, even the girls, but I've been wanting to branch out and try some new ones.

Last week, I bumped into a friend at the farmer's market who is in the same boat (well, actually her kids have been on strike lately), so we were exchanging ideas. She introduced me to kale, "a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties"--very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, (I'm assuming those are good for you...) and reasonably rich in calcium. (thank you, wiki)

So I bought some too, planning to look up recipes for it online. But as I mentioned, my sister-in-law did a Green Monster Smoothie post on St. Patrick's Day. I looked on the website, and most of the recipes use spinach but I found a yummy-sounding one that calls for kale! So this morning, while my poor sick husband was trying to sleep after working all night, I busted out the blender and made a Pumpkin-Kale-Banana Green Monster!!

Here is the recipe, if you don't feel like clicking on the link:

3 c. kale (2-3 leaves)
1 1/4 c. milk
1 banana
1/4-1/3 c. pumpkin
ice

I liked the look of it because it was so simple! And no added sugar! (all the recipes are like that)

I was a little nervous before taking my first sip....but it turned out to be SO delicious! I drank every last drop.

With a little help from my girls. Ok, Anne actually drank quite a bit.


I will definitely be making this again, and I can't wait to try some other recipes!

You should try it! (I dare you, Caleb.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE green monsters! Soo energizing and healthy :)

Sheree in GA said...

looks delicious!!! And I love the fact that it has pumpkin as that is also very nutritious. I will definitely try it.