Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy birthday, Anne!

We celebrated Anne's 1st birthday last week on November 16th. We can't believe she's already a year old. Time seems to go by much more quickly with your second than it does with the first. But at the same time, our days in the NICU with Anne seem like a lifetime ago.
After eleven months with a healthy, happy baby in our home, the pain and heartache of one year ago have softened into tender memories...and feelings of deep gratitude.
Anne has done wonderfully this year. Despite her prematurity, she quickly gained weight and has been in the fifth percentile for her age for most of this year. That is her weight and head size are in the fifth percentile. Her height is in the 50th percentile! (Maybe some Weiler genes in this one?) Her motor skill development has been more consistent with her adjusted age than her actual age. But she is getting around the house on her hands and knees faster than I can keep up with her sometimes, and she stands up and is starting to cruise around more. She started clapping and waving last week. She gets a lot of positive reinforcement for her little tricks, especially from Abigail.

The night of Halloween we discovered Anne has an allergy to eggs (egg whites, more specifically). I had introduced egg yolk to her around 10 months, and she was fine with that. On Halloween I gave her scrambled eggs for dinner. She instantly erupted in hives. We gave her some Benedryl, and she responded well to that. When I picked her up to go get ready for bed, she began vomiting. Erik took her to the ER that night. She's been fine since then. The inconvenience of the allergy really hasn't hit home yet, but fortunately most kids outgrow this allergy by the age of 5. In the meantime, I just have to carry Benedryl around and get creative with egg substitutes!
I made a chocolate "wacky cake" for dessert--no eggs!
Opening birthday presents...with a little help from Abigail

We had a family dinner on Sunday with my family to celebrate Anne and Uncle Joseph's birthdays (Joseph's is the day after Anne's). Those are always so fun for me. I tend to be a little negligent of my children because I'm always chatting away with someone. Good thing there are so many wonderful aunts and uncles around who love to play with them. The other unfortunate thing is I usually don't take any pictures...

Erik's parents came over for dinner on Tuesday, Anne's actual birthday. Here we are singing to the birthday girl. Abigail even donned her Winnie the Pooh costume for the occasion.


Happy birthday, Anne girl. We love you!

1 comment:

BWei said...

It's hard to believe it's already been a year. Thanks for sharing these great pics--Clara particularly enjoyed the video. Seeing Abigail as Pooh made me laugh out loud.