Friday, October 9, 2009

General Conference weekend

We had a wonderfully relaxing three-day weekend with Erik last week. We felt very fortunate that he was able to get this particular weekend off, since he only gets one "Golden Weekend" each month. We were happy to get this one because it was General Conference for our church, when we get to hear from our prophet and apostles.

Since the first session of Conference doesn't start until 12 on Saturday, we took a nice family hike at Stone Mountain in the morning. The weather was beautiful and I always enjoy hiking, but by far, the best thing was having Erik with us! The last few months have been so busy for him.

Enjoying the sunshine while we waited for the choo-choo train, which was probably the highlight of the morning for Abigail. She's hiding my big belly, by the way.

Taking a little snack break (sorry for the lighting in these pictures!)
Helping Daddy up the mountain
Most of our hike was in the woods. (Whenever we go into any forest, Abigail asks if it is the woods where Joseph Smith prayed.)

Conference was rejuvenating and inspiring, as always, and we enjoyed spending time with both our families over the weekend.

While we're on the subject of General Conference, I should mention that Abigail has a great love for the prophet and apostles. Before April Conference this year, she became very interested in them and wanted to learn all their names. So we got a picture of all of them, and I taught her their names and a little bit about them. I used a song to teach her the names. Abigail can learn just about anything, it seems, if you put it to a tune. She still frequently brings me the picture and asks me to sit with her and look at them while we sing the song. She knows all their names and faces, and she positively lit up during Conference whenever she saw one of them. She would turn to me with astonished delight and scream, "President Eyring!" (or whoever it was at the moment)

I made a little list of all the words and people she recognized during Conference. Good thing we were watching it with very patient people (mostly family members) who didn't seem to mind her frequent outbursts.

So here's Abigail naming the apostles. (She has a little trouble pronouncing Elder Christofferson's name...) She sings the song at the end.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW!!! I'm so impressed. I don't think I could do that. You guys have set a high bar when it comes to parenting. I need to get on the ball with Grant. Glad you got some great family time this weekend. You look so good L'Anita. Hope you are feeling well.

Tracy said...

Amazing, just amazing!! She's one lucky little girl to have y'all as parents!!!