Here are a few highlights from our summer we haven't covered on the blog:
May/June
We enjoyed some wonderful family reunions during these months--a Weiler reunion in Pennsylvania in May and one in Charleston for the Heisses in June. I have a long, unfinished post I started about the Weiler reunion. I'm sure one of these days I'll get around to posting it, so I'll save the pictures for then....
We also planted a garden in May! I use the word "garden" to make myself feel good. Our garden consisted of three plants: a tomato plant (which we were given), a red bell pepper plant, and a basil plant. Our harvest to date? One delicious and beautiful tomato and one delicious and beautiful red pepper. Our basil has done pretty well. We've had it in salads and pasta and made one batch of yummy pesto. I could've harvested more of the basil, I'm sure, but I didn't always think of it. In fact, several times a neighbor of ours would actually come knock on the door and tell me something was ready to harvest. She would water the plants sometimes too. I suppose I ought to be embarrassed, but we have a really good relationship with her (mainly because she's a retired Montessori teacher and is in love with Abigail) and gardening is her big hobby. Plus I was morning sick. I can always use that excuse, right?
Erik and I have wanted to have a garden since we got married, but I always dismissed the thought since we live in a condo. However, when someone offered us the tomato plant, I decided we could use the space right outside our front door since we're the only ones who live downstairs in our building and no one would really care. So we bought the basil and pepper plants, along with several different herbs I forgot to mention (because they all died....), and thrust in our sickles with the intent to gain a little knowledge and experience and have fun doing something as a family. I am pleased to report that we met our objectives 100 percent, and we got a tomato, a pepper, and pesto to boot! So it was worth it to us. We did learn a few things from our mistakes, though. Most importantly, I learned that a desire to have a garden and happy visions of it being a unifying family experience will not yield herbs and vegetables. Next time, I need to do more homework and be consistent in tending the plants. Also, we will never try to grow cilantro. I just hope we always live near a farmer's market.
July
July 16th--Happy birthday, Erik!
August
Back to Seabrook! Erik's first week's vacation (he gets three a year) was in August, so we enjoyed another brief visit with his grandparents. Erik's cousin, Kaitlyn, also got to come down with them from Michigan (where they live for half the year), and she's wonderful with Abigail.
--------
So after a busy and eventful summer, things have settled down quite a bit here. Our pregnancy is going very well. For those who don't know, we are having another girl! We're thrilled that Abigail will have a sister close in age to her. I'm sure we'll all go through the normal adjustments once baby sister actually gets here, but right now Abigail speaks excitedly about being a big sister. Today she said to me out of the blue, "I love baby sister. Can she come out.....now?" She consistently tells me that she's going to "teach baby sister how to play with the dollhouse." And she can't wait to hold her.
As for baby sister's name, still pending....(read Erik won't cooperate!)
Although I don't get around to blogging about it much, I am loving life right now. Abigail is just delightful. Honestly, who came up with "terrible twos?" I'm not saying my daughter never does normal two-year-old things, but it's like saying motherhood is all about laundry and changing diapers. Those things come with the territory, but there are simply way more of the delightful aspects than there are of the mundane and dreary ones. I am just in love with my two-year-old. I think it's a wonderful and adorable age.
Our lives are very simple right now, and I am grateful for that. We stay busy taking care of Daddy and the house and the finances (it's so wonderful to have a paying job!! But how does it all go so quickly??). We stay at home together most of the time. One of my favorite parts of the day is reading with her. That's what she wants to do right when she wakes up. She brings a stack of books to me on the couch, and we cuddle up and read until she loses interest or until mommy's pregnant tummy can't delay breakfast any longer.
She loves playing "mommy-and-baby" games with whatever strikes her fancy or happens to be on hand--the usual baby dolls and dollhouse people and stuffed animals of course, but also pieces of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, smiley face stickers, crayons and pencils, you name it. She also loves to sprinkle everything with pixie dust and fly around the room saying, "Off to Neverland!"
We also get to spend a lot of time with Abigail's favorite playmate/cousin, Clark. What a blessing for them (and their mommies!) that they live across the street from each other! My brother Caleb and his wife, Shannyn, moved to Atlanta in January, and it's such a treat to have them close by. Clark calls on the phone to talk with Abigail regularly, and they get together to play often. I think Shannyn and I both use each other's children as emergency escape routes when our own get too restless or bored at home.
As for baby sister's name, still pending....(read Erik won't cooperate!)
Although I don't get around to blogging about it much, I am loving life right now. Abigail is just delightful. Honestly, who came up with "terrible twos?" I'm not saying my daughter never does normal two-year-old things, but it's like saying motherhood is all about laundry and changing diapers. Those things come with the territory, but there are simply way more of the delightful aspects than there are of the mundane and dreary ones. I am just in love with my two-year-old. I think it's a wonderful and adorable age.
Our lives are very simple right now, and I am grateful for that. We stay busy taking care of Daddy and the house and the finances (it's so wonderful to have a paying job!! But how does it all go so quickly??). We stay at home together most of the time. One of my favorite parts of the day is reading with her. That's what she wants to do right when she wakes up. She brings a stack of books to me on the couch, and we cuddle up and read until she loses interest or until mommy's pregnant tummy can't delay breakfast any longer.
She loves playing "mommy-and-baby" games with whatever strikes her fancy or happens to be on hand--the usual baby dolls and dollhouse people and stuffed animals of course, but also pieces of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, smiley face stickers, crayons and pencils, you name it. She also loves to sprinkle everything with pixie dust and fly around the room saying, "Off to Neverland!"
We also get to spend a lot of time with Abigail's favorite playmate/cousin, Clark. What a blessing for them (and their mommies!) that they live across the street from each other! My brother Caleb and his wife, Shannyn, moved to Atlanta in January, and it's such a treat to have them close by. Clark calls on the phone to talk with Abigail regularly, and they get together to play often. I think Shannyn and I both use each other's children as emergency escape routes when our own get too restless or bored at home.
Last Thursday we took advantage of Bruster's "Banana Thursday"--half price on banana split if you bring your own banana. Erik got home "early" (before bedtime), so we had him with us. What a special treat! Ice cream and Daddy! Couldn't ask for more.
I'm including two little videos, mainly for a sweet Abigail-starved-great-grandpa who never complains...




1 comment:
Oh my goodness!! That is the cutest Hakuna Matata I've ever heard! That's just adorable! Glad to hear everything is going well with yall. :)
Post a Comment