Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another doctor in the family!

I failed to document a very important event in our lives: Erik's graduation from Emory Medical School on May 11th! I had good intentions of putting pictures up that week....but it was a busy week.

However, I did get up with him at 6 am that morning and get him to school for pictures by 7. And I did show up on time for the 8 o'clock ceremony. AND I did my hair and smiled in the pictures.

What more can you ask of a morning sick wife?
The first ceremony that morning was the all-campus graduation. Former President of Mexico, Vicente Fox, was the guest speaker. Here is Erik's class standing for the bestowal of their degrees. Erik received two degrees that day: his M.D. and a master's in public health.
Dr. and Mrs. Heiss (Jr.)

Erik's proud parents, Dr. and Mrs. Heiss, Sr.
And here are two devoted younger siblings, Cindy and Ben, who also got up bright and early to attend the graduation (Erik's other sister, Kris, was watching Abigail, bless her!). We sure appreciated the family support.

We were delighted that my parents could make it as well. Although my mom sometimes gives Erik a hard time about going into pediatrics now that it's not useful to her, she and Dad are very proud of him.

Dr. Heiss, Sr., sporting his Michigan robes, actually got to hood Erik during the private medical school graduation ceremony that took place later that morning. It was pretty special for both of them. Of course every last one of the pictures I took turned out either dark or blurry. The chapel had funky lighting. Or I don't know how to use my camera.

Erik's dad works at Egleston Children's Hospital as a pediatric surgeon. It was always a neat experience for Erik to be in the OR with his dad during medical school. Kurt Heiss is a well-respected name there.
And here's a little countdown chain that Abigail and I made before graduation.

Erik started his three-year pediatric residency on July 1st. We haven't really gotten a taste yet for what it will be like during those three years, since he only worked for two days last week before getting a three-day break for the holiday! He is starting out in the nursery at Grady and has been enjoying it so far. We'll see how the rest of the year goes!

We're sure proud of our doctor!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Whoohoo! How exciting! I even feel proud, too. (As if I had anything to do with it??)

The Carroll's said...

Congrats Dr. Heiss and Mrs. Dr. Heiss

Justin said...

Congratulations! Wow, you are getting seriously edu-macated.

BWei said...

Congratulations to you both...I'm hoping Erik is planning on giving a discount for pediatric advice to family members.