Sunday, November 9, 2008

Award-winning photos here!

Just wanted to post these incredible shots I took at my brother Joseph's state cross-country meet yesterday. For all those who are wondering how on earth I managed to "capture the moment" so skillfully while balancing an overloaded diaper bag and squirming baby on my hip (and when I couldn't even see my camera screen!), I'd be happy to share my secrets. Just give me a call some time. 1-800-IMA-CLUTZ or visit my website at www.crappysnapshots.com.
We're going in ascending order of quality here to save the best for last. I mean, obviously this shot isn't great. That little orange speck on the far left is Joseph, the intended focus of the photo. I was trying to get him right as he passed, but I must've clicked too early. But don't worry! I get my act together as the race progresses.
Ahh, see there, now! It's clear that the blurry orange guy is the focus of this picture.
Now here I pull out a really complicated and advanced camera move. I won't dizzy you with the details, but do you really think you could have timed your shot at precisely the moment Joseph decided to jump out of sight behind Red Shorts? I mean, it's like I had a sixth sense or something.
I'm not even gonna try to explain this one. I don't expect any of you to appreciate the genius.
Meet the amazing photographer! (no, not the girl on the left)
That's one cool mohawk, dude.
Joseph with his Parkview teammates and their matching mohawks.

I'll just take a minute here to brag about my little bro. Joseph is a sophomore and has had an incredible season. A mere few months ago, he cracked his kidney in a water-tubing accident and had to take it easy for a while. As mind-boggling as it sounds to most of us, several weeks of being forced to put his feet up and relax while other siblings did his chores and cute girls from church brought him cookies was pure torture for Joseph. He literally ached to run. (I wish my body ached before I ran, instead of after...)

When his doctor did finally give him permission to start running again, he endured another several weeks of torture not being able to run as fast as he wanted to and was used to. BUT, despite all that, he not only recovered from his injury but he also set new personal records for himself--including at the region meet last week, where he finished in the top ten with a time of 16:30!

Joseph didn't do as well in the state meet as he had hoped (Abigail and I were still impressed, though!), but we are so proud of his hard work and incredible progress this season. I know he learned some valuable lessons about patience and perspective during his recuperation time, and I'm proud of the young man he has become.

All I can say is......watch out next year, GA 5A boys!



These videos are mainly for the viewing pleasure of my older brother Caleb who likes to relive the glory of his high school CC days vicariously through Joseph. The first video is of the boys at the starting lineup. Unfortunately, the megaphone man kinda drones on for a bit, but it's pretty cool when they finally shoot the gun. The boys just look like a swarm of ants going up the hill. There were a lot of boys.

The second one I have named "Legs." I don't know why I decided to drop the camera halfway through and chop off all the boys heads.....but I did. At least you get to see Joseph for a few seconds at the very end, though. (didn't I mention that I couldn't see my camera screen?) I guess I could always blame it on Abigail....

7 comments:

Sheree in GA said...

Great job L'Anita, and I love the picture of the 3 of you.

Jill said...

Yep, awesome photography!
Watch out National Geographic. lol.
And . . . a mowhawk?? That is not something you see everyday. :)

CJ said...

This is so funny. I love Joseph's mohawk too. I wonder how his stake president feels about that?? :)

Justin said...

Ya, the pictures are fine, but what is really great is how well Joseph ran. Congratulations! Top 10 at region is awesome - so is 16:30 for 5K. Folks...that is about a 5:16 mile pace for 3.1 miles.
My old fat butt ran a 19:15 on saturday, I don't even dream of running in the 16's again.

BWei said...

You crack me up.

Melissa said...

we made our blog private. send me your email so you can read if you want.

matullis@gmail.com

Jensen Fam said...

Hey! I just found your blog and Tabitha's - how fun! Your baby is adorable - we have an Abigail/Abby in our house too!

I am so happy to see your accomplishments in life. I truly enjoyed being in YW with you and am so grateful for your example then and now to the other YW. Enjoy the fun an eternal family will bring!

I'd love to invite you to our blog - shoot me your email address at ejjensenfam@hotmail.com.

Janet