Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rock Canyon

We live about a half mile from a huge canyon. I used to go there weekly as a freshman and frequently throughout college. It brings many fond memories and a sense of peace and happiness for me. I couldn't wait to visit Rock Canyon again and so the first Saturday I after I arrived while L'Anita was busy doing homework, I decided that the best way to keep Abigail entertained was to do something; so we went on a hike. (We hiked to the Y on the mountain the day before which Abigail wasn't thrilled about - maybe because she soaked her diaper and pants through around the top. She decided that no one, but her dad would be allowed to carry her down! That was interesting. Try carrying a baby without touching their pants.)

On the way up to Y. Sorry the view is not very good. Like my grandmother says, "unless you're at the front of the pack the view never changes".

Here is the mouth of the canyon.



Here is Abigail after 20 minutes. Snack break! And by a nice, cool stream too.


Cindy thinks that the Colorado Rockies are much more beautiful that the stony Wasatch front. I usually tend to agree with her, but I've never seen them in the summer. Looks like there are some trees and green on them after all.



Finally, here is a picture of the two hikers. I forgot her nose was running the whole time, otherwise I would have been a little embarrassed with all the people seeing her on our way down. We hiked for 2 hours, 1.5 up and .5 down. We found snow and some strange chicken-bird. We went farther than I had ever been on that trail before. Last time I was there is was all snowy and I turned around when I saw paw prints as big as my hand and no one around to hear me.

I wonder what we will do this weekend? Perhaps hunt down some ferocious wild animals...? Tune in again next time.

3 comments:

BWei said...

Those beautiful pics make me miss Provo and the mountains. Hope your work is going well, Erik!

Shannon said...

Wow - I haven't seen that canyon for years! I bet that was so fun to be up there with Abby! I'm sure she loved her time with dad! Tim is off tonight on a fathers & son's campout with Porter. Hope he has as much fun there as you did on your hike with Abby!

take care,
Britt

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

These are some great posts!! Looks like you guys are having so much fun and keeping busy! I love seeing all the cute pictures ... :)